MikeM2011's Message Boards
Mar 28, 2024, 07:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: .

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

WeatherPlus To Cease Operations

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WeatherPlus To Cease Operations  (Read 814 times)
MikeM2010
Administrator
TV Provider: Comcast
Tier: Expanded Basic
Channel: 120

« on: Oct 10, 2008, 02:53 pm »

Three months after the acquisition of TWC by NBC, NBC WeatherPlus is going to be phased out by year's end. This makes excellent news for Weatherscan, because now that WX+ will end Weatherscan may end up not shutting down (I was worried that it would) and we may finally see some updates made to it!

From: http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/national-broadcast/e3i7e19cce243eb21aae8097d0272d0295c

NBCU to Shut Down Weather Plus
According to NBC, the decision to end Weather Plus was made by NBC and its Television Affiliates Board

Oct 8, 2008

-By Katy Bachman

NBC Universal will shut down Weather Plus, the digital joint venture between NBC and its station affiliates. The news should come as no surprise; in July, NBCU, in partnership with The Blackstone Group purchased The Weather Channel, leaving the media conglomerate with two competing brands.

According to NBC, the decision to end Weather Plus was made by NBC and its Television Affiliates Board. On Tuesday (Oct. 7), NBC informed the Weather Plus staff it would shut down operations at a later, unspecified date.

"NBC Universal's purchase of The Weather Channel, coupled with the ongoing financial and distribution challenges facing Weather Plus, made the venture no longer feasible," NBC said in a statement.

When it launched four years ago, NBC Weather Plus, the first all-digital broadcast network, was considered an innovative way for a network and its affiliates to monetize the digital spectrum. Since then, local cable systems and other local TV stations mounted challenges to Weather Plus, making it difficult for both NBCU and its affiliates to turn a profit.

About 80 affiliates and NBC's 10 owned-and-operated stations, participated in NBC Weather Plus.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Localonthe8s
Tier: Digital
Channel: 101

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2008, 05:28 pm »

That's some good news!
Report Spam   Logged
MikeM2010
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2008, 03:25 pm »

Here, I'm seeing only national maps and music, no OCMs, nothing else. I like it that way, because you get to hear more of the awesome production music.

I'm working on recording and archiving the music on there when I can. WX+ is expected to be gone by December.
Report Spam   Logged
Roland
TWC |HD| Where Available
TV Provider: AT&T U-Verse
Tier: N/A
Channel: N/A

You're Watching WNEP-TV 16, The News Station

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2008, 06:15 pm »

Thank god wx+ will be gone soon. Which means the Weatherscan & Local AccuWeather Channel will be the remaing 2 24-hour weather networks in the USA
Report Spam   Logged

Weatherscan from The Weather Channel
Miami <- Key West <- Radar <- Travel <- Golf <- Boat & Beach <- Traffic
MikeM2010
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:18 pm »

Don't forget CBS WeatherNow.
Report Spam   Logged
Roland